22 February 2009

Seven Weeks

This is what they tell us is going on this week:

Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny, pudgy extremities you're daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry.

As for us:

Right now it is Sunday morning (I had to get up early so I could beat Crystal to this post!), but it has already been an excitement-filled weekend! My Mom is en-route to a week long conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, and she scheduled a three-day layover in Atlanta so that she would be able to spend the weekend with Valerie, Charlie, and Hardin. Crystal and I have been trying hard to come up with a good time to make it to Mobile to tell her our big news, but it just wasn't working out, mostly because of the trip I mentioned. Therefore, we decided to surprise her by getting up early and driving to Atlanta on Saturday Morning to spring the news.

Valerie

was a great co-conspirator in this whole enterprise. She and I coordinated the surprise, and Valerie didn't let any indication slip whatsoever. Good work Valerie! As a result, Mom was very surprised to see Crystal and I at the front door yesterday morning, initially greeting us with a "Valerie, there's some man at the front door . . . Oh! Its Bradford!"

At Valerie's insistence we broke the news to her the same way we broke it to Pam, which is the best way to capture the moment on film. I walked in the door, and, unable to restrain myself, said "Mom, look at our new camera. Let me take your picture with Hardin," who she was feeding at the time.

The surprise certainly looks genuine! But, so does this smile from a second later:

She screamed so loud with excitement Hardin started crying!

We had a great time with the family, and it was great to be able to bring another person into the circle. Next, hopefully today, we will tell Dad, but we won't be able to do it in person, unfortunately, because he is in Boca until April 15.

Crystal and I had a great time with cousin Hardin. She is getting so big!



As for Crystal:
She seems to be doing great. However, I know she is a little more tired this week than she has been, and is feeling a little more nauseous. She is still doing a great job with nutrition and exercise, which I am sure helps the way she feels. She has requested Macaroni & Cheese for one of our dinners this week, and I will happily oblige (I plan to make a new recipe from our new, excellent, Vegetarian Mothers Cookbook.)

As for Me:
All is well, except that I wish Crystal and I were able to see each other more during the week. Sometimes it is hard being apart during such an important and exciting time. Other than that, nothing new to report, except that it is great to be able to bring more of "my people" into the know and I can't wait to tell Dad today.

Until next week,

P.S. Thanks to everyone for our Birthday, Baby, and Valentine's Day cards!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first let me say how very excited and very surprised i am by the news... and for the record i can't even tell you how happy i am, words just really can't describe my feelings. Plus i can't believe that auntie brittany gave me no clue of her secret. i will have to keep a better eye on that one. Anyway, I'm glad that someone else finally knows so i can have someone else to talk baby with. julie is already in grandmother mode (hardin you know), i myself will have to catch up, but will do this with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete