17 August 2009

Thirty-One Weeks


This is what they tell us is going on this week:

This week, your baby measures over 16 inches long. He weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt.He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath his skin. He's probably moving a lot, too, so you may have trouble sleeping because your baby's kicks and somersaults keep you up. Take comfort: All this moving is a sign that your baby is active and healthy.


As for me:

I currently find myself boarding at the Winters Family's home during my last week as an employee of the federal courts. Aunt Mitzi and Uncle Tom were kind enough to allow me to stay with them this week since we have now officially made the move to Montgomery. They have been treating me well here, thus far. Aunt Mitzi packed my lunch this morning and shooed me out of the house with a delicious cup of speciality Smoothie in hand (made by none other than Uncle Tom). Other than a few pregnancy related complaints from time to time - like weird dreams (seriously, weird), lack of sleep, a small backache, and just generally feeling like a tank - everything is going swimmingly. I cannot believe that the move is complete, that I am almost done with work, and that BB is almost fully baked. Time does fly. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

As for Bradford:

He only has one more week of work as well - at least until his week vacation, he will return to work after that for a new federal judge. And, the tables have turned. Now, he gets to enjoy our house, and our stuff, and our dogs without me - rather than the other way around. I think he is glad to have the dog herd to come home to, no matter what he says, and I know he will be glad when we are finally living together full time once again (in less than a week!). What else? Oh yes, the running. Bradford runs like a crazy person - he ran 20 miles just a few days ago. Yes, all at once. Crazy!!! I believe he will be marathon ready in no time at all.

As for us:

A move - specifically, a move to a pleasant, roomy abode in Montgomery, minutes from Bradford's work. Mom and Mike, thanks be to them, assisted us in the packing, and the loading, and the driving, and the unloading, and the unpacking, and the cleaning, and, well, you get the idea. They really really really helped us. Of course, I wasn't much help at all. Poor Bradford really had to put in a lot of effort to get us moved. I appreciate him for it. And, I appreciate Mom and Mike for all of their help. Now, all of our things are in Montgomery. Our dog herd is enjoying their new home - especially their new yard. The nursery is taking shape (did I mention the crib came in? Bradford and Mike picked it up and Mom and Bradford put it together). Pictures coming soon, I promise!

A birthday - specifically, a 21st birthday for sister Brittany! Happy Birthday Sister Brittany (August 16 - oh how I remember the day you came into the world. You were so cute. I wondered why you looked Chinese (you had such squinty eyes). I couldn't wait until you were big enough to play with me). We celebrated Britt's birthday with family and had a great time doing it.

A doctor's visit - specifically, a visit to Dr. Stone, who tells us that we make this growing a human thing look easy and that BB is head down (90% accuracy predicted), has a heart rate of 135 approximately, and has a mother whose weight gain is on track (and whose pee tests look good this week for anyone keeping track).

And, a lot of counting.

Specifically, Counting down the days until we finally live together once again - Counting down the weeks until BB makes his or her grand entrance - Counting on each other to make it through these final weeks of pregnancy - Counting on getting our house unpacked in a timely manner - Counting on our money not running out as we buy buy buy in preparation for BB's arrival - Counting on things continuing to go smoothly with this growing a human thing - Counting on BB fitting through my pelvis (ha!) - Counting on you, yes you dear reader, to continue being there for us and with us during this journey - And, finally, Counting our many blessings and trying to savor these days of our lives as they pass us by too quickly.


And, switching gears on a final note:

One of my best friends, Melissa Redden, shared some upsetting news with me this week. Her father was taken to the ER for chest pains - and they ended up performing heart surgery on him today. So far, things look good (as good as they could under the circumstances). But, as you can imagine, this has been a scary ordeal for Melissa and the rest of his family (not to mention him). Just keep them in your thoughts if you would. I know I will be thinking of them - Melissa is like a sister to me, and I love her dearly.

2 comments:

  1. Crystal,

    Leslie and Matt left my house at like 930 this morning and she put me in front of your blog almost 3 hours ago! I read all of them, from the start! You (and Bradford) are awesome at this!

    I am so very happy for you both and know that you will make a wonderful mother. You also make a wonderful author, so keep the updates coming and maybe you'll have a book deal by the time BB arrives :)

    Congratulations again and sorry I missed the shower, but I'm sure I will see you before BB arrives, now that I know you are in Montgomery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog :) I can't believe BB will actually be around in a couple months! I cant't wait until the day!

    ReplyDelete