This is what they tell us is going on this week:
Your baby is growing rapidly now. This week he weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is getting bigger to accommodate his growing brain — which is busy developing billions of neurons. Every day, about 200 milligrams of calcium is deposited in your baby's skeleton, which is now hardening. With this rapid growth, it's no surprise that your baby's nutritional needs reach their peak during this trimester.
Oh butternut squash, one of my favorite veggies.
This past weekend, Bradford and I attended a diaper shower/dinner party in our honor at the Omage home in Mobile, Alabama. It turned out to be a wonderful event all around. Valerie & Charlie and Michael & Allison did a fantastic job. Seriously.
I was blown away by the flower-filled bassinet centerpiece. Pretty amazing right . . .
This shower was a bit different than our other showers for several reasons.
One, boys came! This meant more boozing and less talk of placentas, breast feeding, and what not - a welcome relief at this point. [Of course, I didn't booze. I acted as the designated driver.]
Two, it was at night! And, dinner was served - delicious shrimp Alfredo with salad and rolls. Dinner was preceded by amazing appetizers (and, of course, I helped myself to more than my fair share) and a delectable dessert (mint ice cream pie topped with cool whip and chocolate sauce - oh doctor!).
Three, it was a diaper shower. It is safe to say that we are all stocked up on diapers - for at least four months.
Bradford and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with family and friends - thanks to all who came! Even Hardin Bean made an appearance in a very trend-setting sailor dress.
We did get quite a few diapers (I believe Valerie calculated our diaper count at 1000 +). We also received wipes, a changing table (the ultimate diaper changing accessory according to Bradford), a Boppy lounger, a very special piece of Beatrice Potter china for BB, and more.
As you can see, I let Bradford open the gifts this time. I felt this was only fair. I also thought this was a fairly safe move on my part, but I underestimated Bradford's sympathetic pregnancy. All it took was his childhood sock monkey (which his mother lovingly brought down from the attic, washed, dressed, and surprised Bradford and me with) to make the tears flow (or the eyes to water).
It truly proved to be a very special and memorable night. The only things missing were members of my family. My mother and Mike and my sister and her boyfriend Todd were unexpectedly detained in Enterprise due to a death in the family. I know they were thinking of us. And, we were thinking of them. They were certainly missed.
I speak for Bradford (and, obviously for myself) in saying that we really appreciate everyone who has supported us during this time. BB definitely has many who love him or her already. We couldn't ask for more.
A group picture of the parents-to-be and the Hardin Diaper Shower hosts and hostesses!
Not only did we celebrate BB this weekend, but we also celebrated MiJu's birthday (you may know her as Julie Rentz) with a delicious and fun-filled Sunday brunch.

Bradford and I left for Montgomery/Birmingham rather late. I dropped Bradford off in Montgomery at our new house where we unloaded all of BB's new stuff. The house looks great. I can't wait to move down there with Bradford.
What else... Oh yes,
This morning, I had a doctor's appointment. Everything looks great, according to the Doc. He believes BB's is head down in the mothership now, preparing for eviction (which will be only 10 short weeks from now). Crazy.





Wow Crystal,just 10 more weeks! I loved reading your post. It seems like you guys had a wonderful time. That was a lot of diapers...I'm so jealous!!
ReplyDeletejust a note to say what a wonderful diaper shower it was , my daughter is so lucky to have such great in-laws and friends of brads to make her feel so loved. sorry we were not there we missed seeing everyone and helping celebrating in getting ready for little baby bb..
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful time it was!! thank you both for being so wonderful. love you both and will see you in a couple of weeks;)
ReplyDeleteBradford and Crystal,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that we could not be there but you are both in our thoughts! It looks like everyone had a great time!
Much love,
Murey, Doug and Colby