10 August 2009

Change is in the air


The theme of our lives lately seems to be change.

A Change in BB - growth spurt underway.

We are currently at thirty weeks. In the next ten weeks, he or she will go from cabbage to pumpkin. [In case you don't speak farmer, this means he or she will go from almost 3 pounds to approximately 7.5 pounds.] Wowza. BB already seems to be fed up with his or her current living arrangements - wondering why he or she went for the one room apartment instead of the 2500 square foot home. BB, being a fetus inclined towards action, has decided to try and knock down the walls with the tools available to him or her - feet, elbows, and even butt. So far, no luck.

This is what they tell us is going on this week:

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)


A Change in Locale

As most of you know, our move to Fungomery draws closer by the day. We have been packing, and Bradford has been moving our things little by little over time - but we still have quite a bit to move.

Packing up your things can be difficult - every closed box is a reminder of how tangible life can be, a reminder of how quickly the days can pass. But, packing serves another function - it allows you to stop time just for a moment and revel in memories - remembering how sweet life has been to you, acknowledging how far you have come, and making that all too quickly broken promise to savor all the days yet to pass. But, enough of that.

A Change of Mind

Saturday, we attended St. Vincent's "Planning for Parenthood" class. What to say about this? We learned a lot.

For example, did you know that childbirth is extremely painful?




Neither did I.

Can I change my mind now about this baby thing, or is it too late?

Did you know that one of the signs of labor is a baby coming out of your vagina?



Neither did I.

Did you know that rocking a baby is okay, but that shaking a baby is unacceptable?


Neither did I. Good thing the instructor gave us a demonstration on a baby doll. Yeah.

But, in all seriousness, we did learn some things that were very useful. However, we also were very put off by our instructor, who felt it her duty to giggle frequently and add biased, unsolicited, and just plan unacceptable commentary at every turn.

We decided to cut out early - it went something like this:

Instructor: Everyone get a baby doll, a blanket, and a diaper.

Bradford to me: Um, there is no way in hell I am going to get a baby doll, a blanket, and diaper.

Me to Bradford: I know - I mean, I know how to change a diaper.

Bradford to me: At the very least, I can figure it out.

Me to Bradford: Let's split.

Bradford to me: What a waste of our time. Come on.



We, of course, realize that these classes are for the general public and that plenty of people do not know how to change a diaper. Of course we know this. Of course.

[And, Bradford's mom might question my diaper changing skills - after all, I did let Hardin spew all over the guest bed. Who knew she would pee after she just peed (hence the need for the diaper change). I mean, hold it in there for a second Hardin, seriously.]

Skipping out on our parenting class served a good purpose - we went to the Denson's house to say farewell. Allen and Liz have been such good friends to us for a very long time. They will be moving, this weekend, to Alexandria, VA. Allen has an exciting new job in the District. We were supposed to move with them - but, alas, our plans changed (as you well know). It was difficult saying good bye (for now). But, I did get to hold little Ruby (who gets cuter by the day), and we did make tentative plans to try and get together at Thanksgiving. We wish them the very best and plan to stay in touch.

A Change in the Way I will spend my day - coming right up

My co-clerk Michael's last day at work was Friday. Now there is someone new sitting at his desk. Soon, someone new will be sitting at my desk. Only two more weeks and then I will be a stay at home mothership for a while. This transition may be difficult for me - we will see.

Moving, learning to parent, jobs coming to an end, friends leaving us for the great beyond - tough stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment