27 October 2009


My hope is that these posts become less disjointed as the days pass, but, that may be wishful thinking. It's not that my every waking minute is consumed with caring for Lily - rather, I find that there are very few uninterrupted stretches of time within which to blog (and, those that present themselves are often used for other undertakings, like napping or eating or bathing).

At this point, Lily sleeps much of the day. But, we must wake her every three or so hours to feed her (if she doesn't wake herself, of course). It takes anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour to feed her (she can be a rather slow eater) and, of course, we change her and take care of her in other ways as well - thus, you see how our free time is chopped into bits and pieces to be used wisely throughout the day. As the days pass, however, things are becoming more routine, which is a good thing as far as I am concerned. A little bit of routine never hurt anyone (or, maybe it did, but I still will call it a good thing).

Lily turned two weeks old on Tuesday, which meant a visit to Dr. Mo, our pediatrician, was in order. Thankfully, Dr. Mo assured us that she is in wonderful health and growing up quite nicely. As most of you know, babies lose weight after they are born, but should return to their birth weight around two weeks of age. Whether they do so or not serves as a indicator for how well they are eating, etc. Well, Lily went on the scales at the pediatrician's office and weighed in at seven pounds. Good news! We still must "aggressively breast-feed" to ensure that our little Lily continues to thrive and put on the pounds, but, I do get a reprieve at night. I can now allow her to sleep as long as she will - no more waking up at night to wake her up to feed her (although, I am quite sure she still will not allow me to get more than three or four hours of uninterrupted sleep).

On that note, I must take the opportunity to sing the praises of Bradford - best father and husband ever. Because he takes such an active role in parenting Lily, I have not yet gone out of my mind (which, I surely would have had I not the partner I have). I seriously do not know how people do this alone, or with less supportive partners. It is difficult, at times. Not only does Bradford make it easier on me in any way that he can, which is wonderful, but having him to experience all of this with makes it so much better - a much richer experience. But, enough of that, for now.

Lily had three visitors since our last post.

Leslie came to meet Lily, bringing many gifts and food, all greatly appreciated. Lily especially loved her Mickey Mouse (straight from Disney) and her Alabama slippers.


Leslie's visit was a good one - it really lifted my spirits. Leslie and I have certainly been through a lot together, and I am glad our friendship is still going strong after all these years. It is really wonderful introducing Lily to good friends and sharing this time in our lives with those we love.

Speaking of those we love, Julie and Irvin visited last Sunday. Irvin had yet to meet Lily, so that made the visit even more exciting. We decided to head down to Blount Cultural Park for a walk and picnic to enjoy the wonderful weather.



Lily really enjoys strolling. And, it provides us the opportunity to get her (and us) out of the house. She is still too young to take places (especially with the H1N1 hubbub), unfortunately, but that will soon change. For now, we try to get fresh air via strolling once or so a day to save our sanity. Lily usually uses this time to nap, like so -



Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment