Our Thanksgiving post is late - are you shocked?! Probably not. But, better late than never (at least, that is what people say - sometimes though, it becomes too late - don't cha think?).
I am thankful for a bajillion things this year.
For starters, I am thankful that our plans - our big work-related plans - were derailed, which put us in Montgomery for the season. If not for this unfortunate fortunate event, we would not have made it to three (yes, three) family Thanksgiving celebrations.
On Wednesday, we celebrated with the Saunders branch of the family tree in Birmingham. Lily met several family members for the first time, as well as some dear friends. She seems to really enjoy being in a crowd (unlike her neurotic mother, but like her politician father (no surprise there)) and handled the hustle and bustle quiet nicely. As for Bradford and I, we enjoyed the company of family and the delicious vittles provided us.
It makes me happy to see Lily in the presence of so many people that love her, and it reminds me that I am loved by so many (and have been loved so absolutely for a very long time). There is nothing like family and mine is pretty great (and entertaining, to say the least).
Cousin Adam: Yep. You know though, when the kids at the kid's table start having kids - well, maybe it isn't the kid's table anymore.
Our family is expanding. Not only is Lily now sitting at the kid's table with me, but Ryan is there too. Who is he? Well, he is cousin Ashley's fiance (he proposed Tuesday night and she said yes), and Lily's soon-to-be Uncle. Congrats to them!
Growing up, I felt very included in the Winters family. Cousins Ashley and Adam acted as both friends and family to me. I spent a good deal of time with Aunt Mitzi and Uncle Tom (who took me on vacation with them more than once) even though we never lived in the same city. My mother and Aunt Mitzi seemed to make a concerted effort to keep us all connected in a real way. They succeeded. And, I am thankful to them for that. My hope is that Brittany and I will be able to do the same - to make each other's children feel more like brothers and sisters than cousins. Share the love! I think we will be successful.
Lily already feels the love from Aunt Brittany.
Especially when Aunt Brittany and Todd show up bearing gifts!
What else? Oh yes, I am thankful for these two -
I have never gone unloved or unappreciated. For that I am thankful. My mother and sister have been my constant companions in this life and I owe much more to them than I could ever express.
I am thankful to know and love - and be loved - by such a great family. And, I am thankful to have spent another Thanksgiving with them.
While in Birmingham, we were able to arrange a visit with the Densons - in town visiting their family - for which I am also extremely thankful. We have missed them since they moved to the D.C. metro area. It was so good to sit and talk with Allen and Liz. And, My! How Ruby has grown! She was Lily's age the last time I saw her (in person - of course we keep up through pictures), and I was taken aback with how much she has changed. I cannot wait to see Ruby and Lily playing together when we are all reunited in D.C.
After such a big day, I worried that Lily would be out of sorts the next morning when we hauled her to Mobile. Turns out, riding in the car provided the perfect opportunity for her morning nap. I am thankful that Lily enjoys riding in the car (especially since I know what it is like to make the trip from Montgomery to Mobile with a screaming baby - thanks to cousin Hardin bean!).
We attended two Thanksgiving dinners in Mobile, and Lily met even more family and friends - including her little cousin Hardin!
We wondered what Hardin's response would be to Lily. As it turns out, after becoming a wee bit jealous of Lily in the arms of their "Juju" (aka Julie), Hardin warmed up quite quickly. She "loved" baby Lily by placing her head down softly on Lily's leg and patting her little legs and back. How adorable! I am thankful for such a sweet niece - one I have loved since the minute I laid eyes on her. Bradford and I just can't believe how much Hardin has grown since her first birthday (the last time we saw her). Of course, we had heard stories in which Hardin was referred to as a "hot mess," but we hadn't seen her in action in what felt like ages. She has changed so much in such a short time!
What a beautiful little girl! And, smart -
And, entertaining. And, joyful -
I am thankful to have such great in-laws. I recognize that not everyone does. And, this bunch is really something special. They made me feel like a part of the family even before I officially joined it. I consider myself lucky to know them. And, I am pleased to have added to their number with little Lily.

We enjoyed our visit to Mobile immensely. We ate, drank, laughed, loved, watched Alabama football, visited Bellingrath Gardens to view Christmas lights, cheered Bradford on as he ran a half-marathon (a post on that to follow), chowed down on seafood, and enjoyed each other's company.
Lily handled it all like a champ. See -
Meeting Michael and Allison
Not a care in the world . . .
In closing, I must try (albeit inadequately) to give thanks for my most wonderful husband - for whom I am most thankful. He is thoughtful, considerate, patient, kind, funny, strong, optimistic in all of the right places, realistic more often than not, gracious, intelligent, understanding of me even where I cannot understand myself and - in all things - a true partner to me. He means the world to me and is, truly, my better half.
Plus, in being a father, as in being a husband, he exceeds all expectations.
And, I am thankful for Lily, my sweet baby girl. She brings us such joy.
Our little family -

*This could quite possibly be the sappiest post I have ever posted. Forgive me. I am going soft. It probably won't happen again.












Such a great blog!! Love the pictures!! Todd and I had such a good time with you three and the rest of the family on Thanksgiving! Love you lots!
ReplyDelete