05 January 2010

Out of this world Sherried Tomato Soup


As you may have noticed from my posts of late, one of my resolutions is to cook more (which means, my dear readers, to cook something anything every now and then). I don't cook. I just don't. Why? I don't know. Intimidation. Laziness. Feministic tendencies. General sorriness (most likely). My wonderful husband does all of the cooking at our house. Wonderfully, I might add. But, I resolve to take up the wooden spoon and get my cookin' act together.

Last night I made Sherried Tomato Soup, a recipe I obtained from one of my favorite websites: The Pioneer Woman. Check her out, she is Amazing!

Image courtesy of pioneerwoman.com.

Not too difficult. And, Out of This World! Although, a bit high in calories if I had to guess. And, Bradford made two delicious loaves of french bread to go with it. Yummy.

The recipe: [I substituted vegetable base for chicken base (duh!)]

Prep Time: 10 MinutesCook Time: 20 MinutesDifficulty: Easy
Ingredients
  • 6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 1 bottle (46 Oz.) Tomato Juice
  • 2 cans (14 Oz. Cans) Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Tablespoon (up To 3 Tablespoons) Chicken Base
  • 3 Tablespoons (up To 6 Tablespoons) Sugar
  • 1 pinch(es) Salt
  • Black Pepper To Taste
  • 1 cup Cooking Sherry
  • 1-½ cup Heavy Cream
  • Chopped Fresh Parsley
  • Chopped Fresh Basil
Preparation Instructions

Sauté diced onions in butter until translucent. Then add canned tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken base, sugar, pinch of salt, black pepper and stir. Bring to a near boil, then turn off heat. Add in sherry and cream and stir. Add in parsley and basil to taste.

Adjust other seasonings and serve with yummy, crusty bread on a cold blustery, dreary, depressing, rainy, snowy day. Then close your eyes.


2 comments:

  1. WOW Yummy! I am completely impressed (and way to get a hubs who cooks!). I don't cook like I should, and this might would be a good resolution for me to think about picking up. BUT, my problem is I see a recipe that has "tomato soup" in the title and I think: "Why would I make that when I can open a can of Campbell's?" This is my problem in nearly all walks of cooking. BUT IT LOOKS SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I should add just in case my husband checks this out (gotta cover my bases), that my husband is also a wonderful cook and I am very thankful for this! which I guess is why I don't really take the interest...

    ReplyDelete